Whether you're creating the ultimate outdoor entertainment spot or the perfect nature-filled retreat, garden benches have a place in every outdoor space. Outdoor benches come in a variety of sizes and materials, ensuring they’ll fit perfectly into any nook, patio, porch, deck or garden.
Not only can an aptly placed park bench add seating, it can enhance your outdoor décor with colors, textures and designs. If an outdoor bench sounds like the perfect addition to your backyard area, here are a couple helpful tips to get you started in your search:
What materials are best for my garden bench?
Your new park bench is going to be a permanent fixture in your outdoor area, so it’s important to pick materials that are durable and weather well. Here are some of the more common choices:
- Aluminum: If you’re looking for a lightweight yet durable option, aluminum is the way to go. This material tends to resist corrosion and rust, however you’ll need to repaint it every so often.
- Plastic: Another lightweight option, plastic also holds up well outdoors. If you can find a high quality plastic picnic bench it should last you for quite a while, only requiring a quick wash with soap and water if it gets dirty.
- Concrete: If you don’t plan on moving your garden bench, concrete is a durable yet heavy choice that requires little maintenance. You may even be able to have the concrete sculpted or shaped into a form of your choosing.
- Wood: Wooden benches come in several different species of wood such as teak, redwood, cedar and pine. Each one varies not only in its color and grain, but also its durability. Teak is perhaps the most durable yet expensive choice and comes in a lovely golden brown color. Cedar and redwood also weather well, and redwood doesn’t require finishing. Pine and poplar are two other popular choices that are lightweight, however they’re not as durable as your other wood options. If you choose a pine or poplar outdoor bench, be sure to finish it with paint, stain or a sealer.
What styles of garden outdoor benches are available?
As with any type of seating, your outdoor bench can come in many different styles. Basic options include armrests and a back, decorative elements, cushions and more. More specific options can influence the entire design of your outside bench. A few of the more common yet unique styles include:
- Arbor garden benches: With latticed sides and a roof, this elegant style blends perfectly with a garden by allowing vines and flowers to creep around the sides and over the top.
- Tree bench: If you have a favorite tree in your backyard, you can enjoy it’s shade and comfort with this design, which wraps around the tree trunk.
- Planter benches: This design adds the vivid colors of flowers to your seating area with planters at either end.